Make your boodle feast at home, planning a small get-together or a large party gathering. Here, you will find recipe menu planning and suggestions to serve on your table.
Why is it called Boodle Fight?
Boodle Fight, also called Kamayan Feast, means "eating with hands" in Tagalog and is also known as kinamot in the Visayan dialect.
It came from the Philippine Military, where everyone ate at a huge table. The food is served on top of banana leaves. Traditionally, in Filipino culture, the feast happens when everyone stands by the table, shoulder to shoulder, eating the meal using bare hands. This type of eating signifies camaraderie and egalitarianism.
• Plan ahead. It is essential for a successful party. Give yourself enough time to prepare.
• Set date and time. Let your friends and family know when to come to the party.
• Make a List. Write down the things or ingredients you will need for the party. For example, what dishes are you planning to serve?
• The Venue. You might want to know where you want the party. Consider outdoor versus indoor parties. Are you having a pool party? The time of year you are having a party.
• Type of Party. Is this a children's birthday party? Is this a Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, or Easter Celebrations? It will help you decide on the kind of dishes to prepare.
Things to consider
Below is the list of things you might want to ask yourself.
- How many people are attending? Determine how many people are attending the party so that you have enough food for everyone.
- The age group of the visitors. Are you planning for a children’s party? Adult party? Or a mixture of both?
- Determine your budget.
- Decide on a theme. Are you planning a seafood feast? Or a mixture of everything?
- Consider the size of the table you are going to use. Is the table strong enough to hold large amounts of food?
- Is everyone is sitting or standing? You might have visitors that are too frail to stand with everyone.
- Are you serving soups? Do you have enough bowls?
- Are you using utensils or using hands? Consider where your visitor washes their hands. You might not think of this but you need to consider it especially if you are having an outdoor party. Pro tip: Provide wet cloth.
- Does someone have any allergies? This is very important especially if you are having a children’s party.
- If possible, find out visitors’ food likes and dislikes?
- Think of the time of the year. Consider the season. Are doing this party during the summer or winter?
- Know your visitors. Are you planning to invite people from a different culture? Some cultures may not be comfortable with using their hands when eating.
Tools and supplies needed
Some of these suggested tools and supplies may not be necessary depending on a given situation.
- Banana leaves - can be substituted with parchment paper, plastic table cover, fake banana leaves, bilao, or aluminum foil.
- Soup bowls - might be needed if you plan to serve soups.
- Small sauce bowls - this is important for serving your dipping sauces.
- Plates - might be needed for people who are unable to stand for long periods.
- Table napkins
- Wet cloths
- Tables and/or chairs
Here are some meat recipe suggestions you may consider for your menu. Typical dishes present during the party are spring rolls and pancit.
One of my favorite food; try to make these dishes on any special occasion.
If you decide to serve soups, here are some examples you may prepare.
Sides and Vegetables
During the kamayan feast, let us forget to include side dishes and vegetables. For instance, you can serve steamed rice or fried rice. Cucumber, lemon, and tomatoes are good options as well.
You can also serve some fruits. For example, you can add strawberries, pineapples, oranges, bananas, and apples.
Prepare delicious desserts for the party.
Do not forget the dipping sauce.
Here are the steps on how to arrange the food.
- Prepare the table, lay a few the banana leaves on the table.
- Prepare the dishes.
- Arrange the food randomly and spread it all over the table or arrange each dish on the table.
If the party is for 4-6 people, you can arrange the food in a circle.
If you have a larger crowd, you might need to arrange the food straight.
No matter what you decide, please enjoy your party.